Yosemite Road Trip
Days 1-2: On the Road
- More driving!
The Plan: Just passing through with stops in Springfield, Illinois and Wichita, Kansas. Downtown Wichita sounds fun! Four breweries within walking distance of our hotel?
Days 3-5: Santa Fe
- Sightsee in Santa Fe and Taos
- Take the high road and low road to Taos
- Meow Wolf
The Plan: We’ve never been here — or to New Mexico — and it’s a bucket list item.
Days 6-8: Sedona
- Hike the Bell Rock Pathway and Courthouse Butte Loop
- Uptown Sedona
- Tlaquepaque Arts and Crafts Village
- Other hiking?
The Plan: We were here briefly on our way back from the Grand Canyon to Tucson back in the 1990s and have wanted to come back, spend more time, and do some hiking.
Days 9-10: Death Valley
- Maybe some hiking
The Plan: It’s sort of on the way — about as close as we’re likely to get. We’ll only have one full day here but that should be enough time to see some highlights.
Days 11-15: Sequoia and King's Canyon National Parks
- Scenic drives
- Congress trail
- Tokopah Falls trail
- Zumwalt Meadow Loop trail
- General Grant and General Sherman trees
- Other sights and overlooks
The Plan: It’s near enough to Yosemite that why not? We have friends in Visalia that we’ll visit while in the area.
Days 16-23: Yosemite National Park
- Mist trail to Vernal Falls
- Upper and Lower Yosemite Falls trails
- Sentinel Dome and Taft Point trail
- Lembert Dome or Cathedral Lakes
- Sightseeing and scenic drives
The Plan: This is a bucket list destination. We don’t yet know exactly what we’ll do here but there’s a lot. We’re actually spending more time in the Valley than originally planned because I goofed up the reservation and decided to let it stand. Then we’ll spend one night in Wawona for easier access to Glacier Point.
Days 24-26: Eastern Sierra
- Explore Mono Lake
- Eastern side of Yosemite
- Devil’s Postpile and Rainbow Falls
- Bodie State Historic Park
The Plan: Mono Lake has always fascinated me and we should have easier access to the Tuolumne Meadows area of Yosemite from this side of the mountains.
Days 27-29: Salt Lake City
- Great Salt Lake
The Plan: We’ve been to southern Utah but not this part so we planned a stop for the Great Salt Lake and surrounding mountains.
Days 30-32: To home
The Plan: Just passing through Cheyenne, Wyoming and Des Moines, Iowa.